Sunday, April 13, 2008

Tawain Photos - Part III

Elections were March 22. There were hundreds of these trucks that went around promoting the candidates. KMT v. DPP. The KMT won.
People come here to burn fake money. Offerings.
Hungry?
These are little dried fish. They put these in fried rice, on top of soup, etc. Yuck!
Some more fun things I had to eat.
And more slimy sea things we were served.
Fish market. Check out the fish that are on the floor.

Check out the long pinky fingernails. It is a sign that you do not have a hard labor job if you can grow them out. They also grow them so that it will make their pinky finger longer as they believe it is a sign that their children will be more prosperous.
Kim, Jacky and me.
Kim, Erica and me.
Taiwan uses every piece of land available. If there is not a building on it - they will be growing something. This a rice field next to housing. This is very common. You can see rice fields next to factories.

Every year they put these red papers around their doors. They are their wishes for the next year.
Raw fish anyone?
Huge green olives. Bee Larva in the background (left).
Becca about to taste the Bee Larva.
Tea ceremony at the Tai Chi library.
Solar powered street lights.
Monk.
Burning paper money.
Confucius Temple.
Inside Confucius temple.
Borris and Steven. (Lawyer's children.)
There are many trees that look like this.
Dessert? Try some flavored shaved ice with ice cream and topped with red beans.
Lots of stores in the bigger cities have English names. The lingerie shops were the best names. Like this one.
Getting foot massages.
Yet another dinner hosted by rotary clubs. They took us to a German restaurant and ordered everyone huge beers. Good thing I don't drink. There were others in the group were wishing they could say the same thing.
My visit to Justis Law Firm.
Taichung from Celia's house.
The mopeds all sneak into the front at red lights. So when the light turns green there is a rush of mopeds.
So many robes. Black - clerk. White Lawyer. Blue - Judge. Green - government attorney. Pink - prosecutor. There is also a red one for notaries.
You can hold the entire law of Taiwan in one hand.
Special room for secret witnesses.
Courtroom.
Litigation consultation for pro se parties.
Typical dress. Mask, helmet, jacket, boots and short skirts.
Drum performance at rotary district conference.
More fun things to eat.
Women who work outside are covered up. They do not want their skin to get any darker than it is. In fact they even use whitening agents in their face wash. I'll have to remember to take a picture of the face soap one of my hosts gave me.
More fun things to eat. Abalonie covered in mayo. Sliced spicy pork and some type of fried sea creature.
Tom making ink.
Tom writing Chinese calligeraphy.
Present from Tom.
Thirsty?

5 comments:

Stacy said...

I have two friends who went on missions to Tawain and they both lost weight while they were there. I think your pictures of the food selection explains why.

Alisha said...

It's about time you posted more pictures!! :) I plan to comment on almost everyone...here I go:
1. Cool trucks driving around with the elections. Reminds me of the billboard trucks that drive the stript in Vegas.
2. At least they are smart enough to burn fake money!
3- 8. EEWWWW.....GROSS!!!
9. Hello Danielle
10. That's nail just looks nasty. Interesting why they grow it out though.
11&12. I love flowers! Pretty, pretty!
13&14. Nice to meet you Kim, Jacky and Erica.
15&16. Never seen a rice field before, thanks for the picture.
17. Is that someones front door or is that a business? Apartment?
18-22. Once again...I love flowers...and two amazing shots with the butterfly...wow...ever thought about changing careers?
23-25. Nasty...need I say more?
26. Hi again Danielle...looks nice and relaxing.
27. I love their hats.
28. Wow they really do have tea ceremonies everywhere.
29. Pretty!
30. Not so pretty, but a great idea...we should lookinto solar powered street lights.
31-37. Cool "cultural" pictures. Neat temple.
38. That has to be the coolest tree I've ever seen!
39. Why in the world would you put beans on shaved ice/ice cream.
40. Easy Shop eh?
41. I love foot massages!
42. Bottoms up!
43. Um..I am really jealous...no more flower pictures -k-!
44. Hello law firm...yeah for Danielle's career day thingey majigger.
45. Cool shot of the skyline!
46. Hehe...I want a moped.
47. Why don't you get to wear a robe in AK?
48. That's it? All of the law? Wow!
49. Hehe...sweet. Can I be a secret witness?
50. Interesting courtroom.
51. Again...interesting. I have no idea what litigation consultation is though!
52. NICE! We should try to get that fashion over here!
53&54. Moped city.
55. That looks sweet. I bet the drum performance ROCKED!
56. What in the heck is that?
57. Wow...they are smart though. The probably don't get as much skin cancer as we do.
58. I bet you were so wishing for a PB&J!
59-61. Hello Tom!
62. Do they really drink asparagus juice? Did you try it?

Unknown said...

Sweet pics. Good to see you had so much fun.

Alisha said...

Um...you haven't updated in like FOREVER!

Bridger said...

OK, now I know exactly what I'm going to do with the asparagus plants in my garden... Mmmmm - Mmmmm, Good!