Monday, January 5, 2009

10 things that might clue you in that it is cold ...

1. Alaska gets mentioned on the Today show (1/5/09) for how cold it is in Alaska - not just a number on the map. They actually say stop complaining that you are cold, the high for today in Fairbanks is expected to be -30. It actually never warmed up to -30 today but oh well. Another note on this one - not even a mention that Alaska is celebrating its 50th birthday. Yep, that is right. Alaska turned 50 years old on Saturday. No mention of that - just how cold we are. And to think we are the biggest and best state. (It is a fact my Texan friends - we are bigger and have more oil.)

2. The forecasted low for tonight is -60. (There was a picture in the weekend paper at -62).

3. It hurts to breathe when you go outside.

4. You cannot see across the parking lot or an intersection due to all of the ice fog. Makes driving interesting - I sure hope everyone turns on their lights. You cannot even see the stop lights until you almost are in the intersection.

5. Your nose hairs get all frozen together just running to your car.

6. You car is not even warm after it has heated up for over 1/2 hour.

7. The office closes down and gives everyone an extra holiday due to cold weather. (It didn't hurt that a major holiday just happened to fall on a Thursday to help them use this excuse to close down the office on Friday when it was to be -50.)

8. More than 10% of my co-workers could not make it to work due to frozen up cars and frozen house pipes. That is why you buy plugs that light up on the end so that you know electricity is flowing to the heaters on your oil pans. And to set the record straight no your fuel tank will not freeze up if it is less than 1/3 full and it is cold out.

9. The kids don't have to go out to recess.

10. Only sacrament meeting is held and all other church meetings get cancelled.

Yes all of these things have happened in the last week. And to think I still love it here. Crazy, yes. So just remember when you think you are cold - just remember you could live in Fairbanks Alaska.

4 comments:

Barbara said...

Sometimes I wonder why I live in Utah -- where I thought it got cold until I read your blog and realized I probably don't know what cold is. I'm cold even reading about "your cold". I think I better go have a cup of hot chocolate to warm me up.

Alisha said...

HAHAHA! You are so stinking funny! Here's my response:

1. Of course they will mention it on the today show...for a high of -30 you'd have to be crazy to live on that iceberg. YES - ICEBERG... not state. I think if we took a poll more people would choose to live in Texas than Alaska!
2. -60 hahaha.... it might get to freezing here...might!
3. Sometimes it hurts to breathe when I go outside too...all that warm air can catch you off guard in January.
4. Um....that sounds really dangerous...you know if the visibility was that low Exxon employees would not be required to go to work.
5. Not the best mental image I just had...your nose hairs, stuck together, eeewwww!
6. Think of all the gas you are wasting trying to heat up your car. Yes I said TRYING.
7. Okay that just rocks, you got me there!
8. Sounds interesting... I bet they are more expensive than normal plugs. Hope your pipes don't freeze!
9. Recess is the best part of the day. HELLO? Who wouldn't want to play outside?
10. Okay this one rocks too! I mean I love church and all, but sweet!

You win this one...it is much colder in AK than TX...another reason I'm not there! :)

HAPPY FREEZING

Melonius said...

No, I couldn't.

Elizabeth said...

They mentioned Fairbanks' frigid temperatures on the Today Show again yesterday. I keep hoping that one of these times they will cut to "a friend in Fairbanks, Danielle Gardner." Keep up the cold temps and maybe we'll see you on the news!